Grilling season is here, folks! And these grilled chili lime chicken tacos are the perfect way to kick it off.
At first glance, this looks like a long, complicated recipe, but it’s mostly spices. Plus you can use a Ziploc bag to marinate the chicken in and then throw it on the grill (Yep – definitely tagging this as a “one pan meal”), so cleanup is super easy.
You can use your favorite Paleo tortilla recipe, storebought tortillas like Siete, or even make a taco bowl with lettuce and chips (plantain chips or grain-free tortilla chips like Siete would be awesome). If you’re doing Whole 30, make this into a taco salad with lots of greens, salsa, cauliflower rice and guacamole or use a lettuce wrap instead of tortillas.
Grilled Chili Lime Chicken & Pineapple Tacos
- 2 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1/4 c avocado oil
- 1/4 c lime juice (about 2 limes)
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 c fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 of a small pineapple, cut in to large strips
- Paleo tortillas, lettuce wraps, plantain chips or grain-free tortilla chips, for serving
- Guacamole, avocado, hot sauce, for toppings
- To start, take a gallon size Ziploc bag and place it over a small bowl (so that the bowl holds the bag open). Zest the lime into the bag and then add the avocado oil and juice of two limes.
- Add the chopped cilantro to the bag along with the spices. Stir well.
- Place the chicken thighs into the bag and cover with the mixture. Seal the bag and work the bag with your hands to coat all of the chicken in the lime juice mixture, cilantro and spices.
- Lay the bag flat in the fridge to marinate for 30 minutes up to a full day.
- While the chicken is marinating, heat your grill to medium-high. When hot, sear the chicken on the hottest part of the grill for 2-3 minutes per side. Move away from direct heat and cook until internal temperatures reach 165 degrees.
- When the chicken is nearly finished, add the strips of pineapple to the grill and cook about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken and pineapple from the grill. Shred the chicken and slice the pineapple into chunks.
- Serve as tacos in Paleo tortillas or lettuce wraps, or as a taco bowl with lettuce and plantain chips or grain-free tortilla chips. Top with avocado/guac, hot sauce, etc.