I’ve mentioned before that I don’t spend a lot of time each week planning out our lunches. Instead, I plan dinners that are large enough to have leftovers for us to make lunch out of the next day. On Sundays, though, I do like to make a big batch of something to supplement those leftovers at lunch. Lately, this broccoli salad has been on rotation (I double the recipe).
This probably isn’t as creamy as your traditional broccoli salad recipe–I like to make just enough dressing so that each piece of broccoli ends up with a nice coating of it but isn’t swimming in it. If you want something a bit creamer, either use a bit less broccoli or add another 1/4 cup of mayonnaise and 1/2 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar.
I think traditional broccoli salad recipes typically call for red onion. Since I make this mostly for lunches, I leave these out for the sake of my coworkers (spoiler alert: nobody likes onion breath). Instead, I use onion powder in the dressing to capture that flavor.
You can fry or bake the bacon for this recipe – I almost always choose to bake it (unless I want to sautee something in the fat) because 1) it makes less mess and 2) then I can prepare the rest of the salad and the dressing while the bacon is in the oven.
There’s plenty of crunch in this salad, but I do like to add chopped walnuts. They are completely optional, but if you do use them, mix them in right before serving. That way they don’t become soggy.
If you are doing Whole 30, make sure you use compliant bacon and mayonnaise. Pederson Natural Farms makes a good sugar free bacon. It’s a bit more expensive, but I almost enjoy it better than other bacon. Your mayo should be as close to just oil (preferably avocado) and eggs as possible. I like the Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Mayo, which you can get online at Thrive Market. Also skip the coconut sugar–but honestly, I rarely add it. It’s definitely not needed, but if you are used to a sweeter broccoli salad, you may prefer it.
What’s your favorite salad to make in a big batch for the week?
Paleo/Whole 30 Broccoli Salad
- 1 lb Broccoli
- 2-3 slices bacon
- 1 cup sliced grapes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Optional: 2 Tbsp coconut sugar (not for Whole 30)
- Optional: 1/2 c chopped walnuts (save these until ready to serve)
- Cook bacon over medium high heat in a skillet until fully cooked. OR preheat your oven to 400 degrees and put the bacon in on a baking sheet for 22 minutes (you can start the timer before the oven is fully preheated).
- When bacon is complete, remove the bacon from the pan to cool/drip on to a few sheets of paper towel.
- Cut the broccoli into smaller bite-size pieces.
- In a medium bowl, mix the broccoli, and sliced grapes. Crumble the cooled bacon in as well.
- In a separate small bowl, make the dressing. Whisk together the mayo, apple cider vinegar and seasonings (and coconut sugar if you are not doing Whole 30 and wish to include) until smooth.
- Pour the dressing mixture over the broccoli mixture and stir to combine. Chill in the fridge until serving. Mix in the chopped nuts right before serving.
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to learn more.